(Mi)2 offers a Foundations of Math 5-day course, which was developed in partnership with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
The 5-day course deepens understanding of the Components of Number Sense model.
- build deep foundational content and pedagogical knowledge
- learn how to make solid instructional choices that positively impact students
- connect procedures used in mathematics to conceptual understanding
- build mathematical understanding and accurately assess learning for a range of learners
Foundations of Math was written by two secondary mathematics educators and two special educators. The course is intended to provide meaningful professional development to teachers that results in stronger classroom practices for those who instruct students with special needs, with an emphasis on instruction that goes deeper than techniques and strategies, to present content in a way that increases the coherence of mathematics.
Registration is now open. Register for the 5-day course. The registration deadline is July 19, 2018.
To stay updated on future offerings, subscribe to the (Mi)^2 Newsletter.
The Components of Number Sense
- Quantity and Magnitude
- Base ten
- Form of a number
- Proportional reasoning
- Algebraic and geometric thinking
Training Course Structure
The 5-day training course is offered over a two- to three-month time period.
The course is lecture-based mixed with:
- Participant discussion
- Mathematical activities and explorations
- Independent readings
- Group work
- Connections to classroom practice